Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. day and the kids are home from school. Alice and Jamie would be anyway, but Maria has the day off. What are we doing? A lot of what we did yesterday — nothing much. There’s a mean game of Memory going on in the middle of the living room floor and the snow clothes have already been put on and peeled off and are now soaking wet on the front porch. I’m leaving ’em.
And I took a look around this morning and realized my house will probably never look like a grown up house. There’s lots of evidence in my life that I live with 4 tiny humans.
(1) 3/4ths of the dvds in my (large) dvd cabinet are kids movies…and we have multiple copies of some. Kids don’t understand the “cds can scratch” thing.
(2) I don’t EVER have pillowcases on my pillows. Ever.
(3) I find myself using Mustela baby shampoo more often than grown up shampoo.
(4) When I click “new tab” on my computer, the suggested sites that come up are Mini Boden, Disney.Go.Com, pbskids.com and facebook.
(5) my bookshelves are full of sticker books, picture books, kids cookbooks and princess storybooks.
(6) do you want princess fruit snacks, scrabble jr cheez-its, dora yogurt or gerber puffs? Cuz that’s all we have.
(7) I hear things like, “Mom, can you help me make this blanket into a dress?” all day long. And we make it happen.
(8) the most exciting event of the weekend is that we lost a tooth. (Well, Maria lost it, but I feel like we all did).
(9) I can french braid with my eyes closed.
(10) 9 times out of 10, I’d rather stay home with my kids and Danny than get a sitter and go out. Because my tiny humans rock.
I also told you a while back I got a sewing machine for Christmas from Danny. Keep in mind the last time I sewed anything was in 7th grade. It was a sweet snowboard pillow. But he also got me some really awesome books with do-able projects in them. “Growing Up Sew Liberated” I think is my favorite and I’m so stoked to make stuff. I guess I should figure out how to put thread in the machine….but I’m planning on picking up some supplies this week at JoAnns. Thread, fabrics, other tools that these books tell me I should get. I’m excited.
And I can totally feel all of your excited vibes for me. Thanks.